Mural ~ the Apotheosis of Washington
- The marvelous “Apotheosis of Washington”, in the eye of the U.S. Capitol Rotunda in Washington, DC, was painted in 1865 by Constantino Brumidi.
- The mural depicts George Washington rising to the heavens in glory, flanked by female figures representing Liberty and Victory and surrounded by six groups of figures. The mural is suspended 180 feet above the Rotunda floor and covers an area of 4,664 square feet.
- It took 11 months to finish.
- Apotheosis means “the raising of a person to the rank of a god, or the glorification of a person as an ideal”.
- George Washington was honored as a national icon in the nineteenth century.